Scholarship Name: Facebook Fellowship Award
Brief description: Facebook Fellowship Program is open to full-time PhD students (domestic and international) enrolled during the current academic year and studying computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, system architecture, or a related area.
- Artificial Intelligence
- Computer Architecture
- Computer Vision
- Data Mining
- Distributed Systems, Networking & Operating Systems
- Economics and Computation
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Machine Learning
- Natural Language Processing
- Networking & Operating Systems
- Programming Languages & Compilers
- Security & Privacy
- Social Computing
- Software Engineering
- Speech Technologies
Giving people the power to share and connect requires constant innovation. At Facebook, research permeates everything we do. We believe the most interesting research questions are derived from real-world problems. Our engineers work on cutting edge research with a practical focus and push product boundaries every day. We believe that close relationships with the academic community will enable us to address many of these problems at a fundamental level and solve them. As part of our ongoing commitment to building academic relationships, we are pleased to announce the two year Facebook Fellowship program to support PhD students in the 2016-17 and 2017-18 academic years.
Scholarship Type: PhD Fellowship
Selection Criteria and Eligibility
This Program is open to individuals who are enrolled full-time, as defined by the individual’s university, and in good standing at an appropriately accredited doctoral program focusing on a Topic or Field (whether an individual is engaged in research in a Topic or Field will be determined in Facebook’s sole discretion).
You are not eligible to participate in this Program if you are a national or legal resident of those countries in which the United States has embargoed goods (including, without limitation, Cuba, North Korea, Iran, and Syria, unless you are enrolled full-time at an accredited university in the United States or a non-embargoed country, with the exception of nationals and legal residents of Cuba, who are unconditionally ineligible to participate).
Further, the Award, or portions thereof, may be forfeited if an Award recipient does not remain enrolled with full-time status and in good standing at the same doctoral program for the entire period of the award.
Number of Scholarships: Not specified
Value of Scholarship: Each Facebook Fellowship includes several benefits:
- Tuition and fees will be paid for the academic year(s) 2016-2017 and 2017-2018
- $37,000 yearly grant
- Paid visit to Facebook HQ to present your research
- Opportunity for paid internship
Duration of Scholarship: Facebook Fellowship Award to cover two years!
Eligible Countries: Domestic and International Students
To be taken at (country): Any country (excluding US embargoed countries)
Application Deadline: Applications open on Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 12:00am PST.
Completed applications are due by Sunday, November 1, 2015 at 12:00pm PST.
(Applications may be saved and edited up until application deadline)
Offered annually? Yes
Required application materials:
- Research Summary
1-2 page research summary, which clearly identifies the area of focus and applicability of anticipated research to Facebook.
- Resume or CV
- Two email contacts for a letter of recommendation:
- Professional reference (can be from academia or industry)
How to Apply
To apply, eligible individuals must submit the following materials (collectively, “Application”) to Facebook, or email a Word or PDF file of the Application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Fellowship Program Application”:
- Curriculum Vitae (“CV”): Your Application must include your CV, which should detail prior relevant work experience, academic record, and publication record.
- Letters of Reference: Application must include the name and contact information of two (2) people who will be providing letters of reference on behalf of the applicant. The letters of reference should address the applicant’s skills and character and why the applicant deserves to receive the Award. One (1) letter of reference must be from the applicant’s current doctoral program advisor. All letters must be submitted by the references by the Application due date.
- Research Proposal: Application must include a one (1) to two (2) page (single-spaced, 12 point Times New Roman font, one (1) inch margins) research proposal in your Field of study. Research proposals will be reviewed, subject to the two (2) page limit, and any page(s) submitted in excess of the two (2) page limit may not be read. Additionally, the Research Proposal must clearly identify the area of focus and applicability of anticipated research to Facebook.
- Research Area: The research proposal must address the applicant’s PhD research area. Transcript (OPTIONAL): Application may also include transcripts from any/all post-secondary educational institutions that the applicant has attended.
Visit scholarship webpage for details.