The Scholarship Foundation of the Republic of Austria offers scholarships in the form of Grants and Research promotion to international students (except Austrians) for Undergraduate, Graduate and Postgraduate study.
Grants may be semester and/or one-year grants, or research grants. Scholarships are also awarded for research periods at scientific research institutions in Austria (e.g. universities, Austrian Academy of Sciences, National Library, National Archive).
You are invited to apply for a Scholarship of the Scholarship Foundation of the Republic of Austria if you are NOT from Austria, and fulfill the requirements outlined below.
Eligible for application are
- descendents of forced labourers (regardless of their country of origin)
- or people coming from countries that have suffered exceptionally from the Nazi regime, especially from the recruitment of forced labourers.
Students meeting the above mentioned criteria can apply to pursue research:
- on their bachelor thesis
- on their diploma or master thesis
- or their dissertation.
No scholarships are awarded for Bachelor-, Master- or Doctoral/PhD studies pursued in Austria, summer courses, language courses, clinical traineeships or internships.
Applicants must not have studied/pursued research/pursued academic work in Austria in the last six months before taking up the grant.
- Doctoral students: 40 years (born on or after March 1, 1976)
- for other students: 35 years (born on or after March 1, 1981)
Citizens of ALL countries (EXCEPT Austria)
Universities and other scientific research institutions in Austria e.g. Austrian Academy of Sciences, National Library, National Archive
Fields of study
Area of study or research include:
- Natural Sciences
- Technical Sciences
- Human Medicine, Health Sciences
- Agricultural Sciences
- Social Sciences
Number of awards
Not specified – the quota to be awarded depends on the budget. An award is only possible once per category, a renewal is not possible.
Scholarships are awarded for periods of 1 – 4 months
The scholarship grant benefit paid include:
- monthly scholarship instalment: 940 EUR
- accident and health insurance: if necessary, the OeAD (Austrian Agency for International Cooperation in Education and Research) will effect an accident and health insurance. The costs for the insurance have to be covered from the scholarship.
- The OeAD provides scholarship holders with accommodation (student dormitory or apartment). Monthly costs: 220 to 470 EUR (depending on the level of comfort requested by the scholarship holder). The scholarship holder has to pay an administrative fee of 18 EUR/month to the OeAD for the provision of accommodation. The costs for the accommodation have to be covered from the scholarship.
- Applicants from countries which are neither members of the EU nor members of EFTA, EEA or OECD can be granted a travel allowance. The lump sum depends on the country of origin.
Method of Application
Applications are completed online, and the following requested documents have to be uploaded for the Online Application on www.scholarships.at:
- fully completed Online Application form “Application for a Scholarship of the Scholarship Foundation of the Republic of Austria” including a CV and a project plan, describing the plans and completed preparatory work for the research stay in Austria
- two letters of recommendation from university lecturers. For these letters of recommendation no specific form is required; they have to contain the letterhead, date and signature of the person recommending the applicant and the stamp of the university / department and must be no older than six months at the time of application
- confirmation of supervision by a supervisor at the chosen Austrian university, university of applied sciences or research institution
- scanned passport (showing the name and picture of the applicant)
- university graduation certificate of your diploma, master, PhD or doctoral studies at a university outside Austria resp. proof of enrollment at a study programme at a university outside Austria
- confirmation, that proves your participation in a study programme (Bachelor, Master/Diploma or PhD) at your home university
- for descendants of forced labourers: processing number or photocopy of the letter of information or other relevant proofs
It is important to visit the official scholarship webpage (link to it is below) for complete information on how to apply.
The closing date for all applications is 01.03.2016
Applications that are incomplete or do not meet the requirements cannot be taken into consideration.
The Funding organisation for this scholarship is OeAD-GmbH on behalf of and financed by the Scholarship Foundation of the Republic of Austria.
Application Deadline: 1 March 2016
Open to International Applicants: Yes