The Xiamen University (XMU) in China offers scholarships to doctoral, master’s and undergraduate candidates, in the Xiamen University Scholarships.
Scholarship awardees will have their tuitions covered (a maximum of 3-4 years for doctoral programmes, 2-3 years for master’s programmes, 4-5 years for undergraduate programmes). Moreover, XMU provides monthly living allowances for outstanding master’s or doctoral candidates in accordance with the standards of Chinese Government Scholarships.
The successful recipients’ academic performance will be assessed each year and only those achieving the required standard will have their scholarship renewed for the following year.
1). Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens in good health.
2). Educational background and age limits:
- Applicants for bachelor’s degree studies must have a high school diploma and be under the age of 25.
- Applicants for master’s degree studies must have a bachelor’s degree and be under the age of 40.
- Applicants for doctoral degree studies must have a master’s degree and be under the age of 45.
Scholarship assessment will be on the basis of application documents, applicant’s academic performance and overall quality, and their supervisor’s opinions.
Applicants for undergraduate programmes will be given priority if they apply with a high score in SAT, IB diploma, GCE A level test, or UCE test. Applicants for postgraduate programmes will be given priority consideration if they graduate from world-renowned universities, sister universities, or are recommended by senior professors or experts.
Citizens of ALL countries (EXCEPT China)
Xiamen University, Fujian Province, P. R. China
Number of awards
Up to 24 (including 8 for doctoral candidates, 11 for master’s candidates and 5 for undergraduate candidates)
The maximum duration for the awarded scholarships are as follows:
- Undergraduate (i.e. Bachelor’s degree) students: 4-5 years
- Master’s degree students: 2-3 years
- Doctoral degree students: 3-4 years
It is important to note that the awardees’ academic performance will be assessed each year and only those achieving the required standard will have their scholarship renewed for the following year.
The scholarship will cover FULL tuition fees for doctoral, master’s and undergraduate programmes. It will also provide monthly living allowance for outstanding master’s or doctoral candidates.
The first-class scholarship for doctoral and master’s candidates will have their tuition fees covered, and also offer monthly living allowance (RMB 2,000 per month for each doctoral student; RMB 1,700 per month for each master’s student). Bachelor’s candidates will not be provided with the first-class scholarship.
The second-class scholarship for undergraduate, master’s and doctoral candidates will have the awardees’ tuition fees ONLY covered for the entire duration of programme.
See official website (link to it is below) for more information.
Method of Application
Applicants are eligible for scholarship assessment only after they are admitted to the undergraduate, master’s or doctoral programme of Xiamen University.
Applying to the scholarship entails:
- Applicants are required to make an online application first, AND then download and print the Application Form for International Students generated after successful online application.
- Applicants can now fill out and print the “Application Form for XMU Scholarship” found on the official website.
- Submission of application documents: Send by post to XMU Admissions Office the two forms and other required documents by 30 April. (Postal address: Admissions Office of Xiamen University, Fujian Province, China 361005; Tel: +86 (0)592 2184792).
It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for detailed information and also to access / download the “Application Form for XMU Scholarship” so as to apply for this scholarship.
The application period begins February 1 and ends on the April 30, 2016.
The result is expected to be out in early to mid June and will be published on the website of the Admissions Office (see link below). Awardees will be notified via email and their certificate of award will be sent out as soon as possible.
Application Deadline: 30 April 2016
Open to International Applicants: Yes